Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Introduction


            Snowboarding is the way I get high up in the mountains and let the snow guide me down. My love for snowboarding comes along with the fact that I enjoy learning new things. I’ve come to a point where I have mastered everything I need to ride the mountain, but now I want to take it to a new level. I want to learn the most efficient way to execute a 360 spin. This will involve researching rotational dynamics, watching or reading professionals explain how they do it, practice and commitment. Before I present, I am traveling to the home of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics: Whistler Blackcomb. There, I shall take a high-quality video of me putting all my knowledge together and attempting the trick. After I complete it, I will officially become a snow-bum.
            I was fortunate enough to be up in the mountains since the age of two. I started skiing in ski school every year. I’ve traveled to Whistler Blackcomb, Park City, Breckenridge, Canyons and Killington. In each different place I kept learning and eventually became swayed to the side of snowboarding.
I started snowboard at the age of eight in Breckenridge, Colorado. I liked the concept of having both of your feet attached to the board at the same time. In my mind, it looked harder to get hurt. Plus ski boots are like big bricks tied on to you feet and shins. I also watched snowboarding on TV and the tricks looked so much more extreme.
            Now, I’ve been snowboarding for about seven years and a friendly competition has erupted. My friends and I (the ride crew) send each other videos of us doing a trick, or getting some air; then we all try to mimic it, or exceed the last video. If I am able to execute a 360, I will have the best trick in the ride crew.
            Everyone seems to be concerned with my safety. I can assure you that my father has required me to wear plenty of equipment, which includes a helmet, wrist-guards, etc. Safety is the number one priority, and with my research I should be able to conquer the trick and not fall at all.
            I am aware that the 360 is a underestimated trick and I will have to progress by doing simpler tricks before I complete the entire rotation. I should be comfortable spinning before I even enter the air, so I am going to learn how to flat-land 360. This first step is a full rotation without ever leaving the ground. After mastering spinning on the ground, I shall take it into the air. Before I go for the entire trick I am going to get used to being in the air for an extended amount of time. I plan to hit jumps and try to get a minimum of two seconds of air time (this should be enough time to spin in the future). After I have both spun on the ground and done some straight airs,  I will combine them into a 180 (half of a three sixty) to introduce myself to spinning in the air. Once I feel comfortable spinning in the air, I'm going to give myself an motivational speech going up the lift, my boys will cheer me on as I attempt the 360. If I follow this plan, this will be a a piece of cake.
             The resources I plan to use are my science and math teacher to learn about rotational dynamics and angular acceleration, and I will use TRANSworld magazine to refer to for tutorials and articles regarding the trick. On YouTube and other video sites I will look for X-Games clips to use for evaluating professionals and applying their moves to my attempt.
Example:




4 comments:

  1. Nick, this idea sounds rather unique and I bet you will have a fun time doing this project. Your project involves snow and a mountain which from our neighborhood is quite the drive. Is there anyway that you can work on the 360 as your still present in Blue Bell? Practicing on a trampoline with your board is a way that I heard professionals practice. A lot of completing a trick in action sports is getting over the scared feeling you get when trying to do it. Is there any way you can build up your confidence and make yourself feel unstoppable? Try to set out goals specific to each week as you go on this journey. What if by the second week you complete one? Will you shoot for a 720? Overall it seems like a great idea and it should be cool to watch footage of you snowboarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, I like how you are using this project to help you in 'friendly competition.' Your final goal is very straight-forward. I think its good that you have taken the proper safety measures in attempting the trick. If you go ahead with Aaron's suggestion and practice on your trampoline, I advise you to take similar safety precautions. I'm looking forward to reading your further posts regarding rotational dynamics and angular acceleration! You seem very motivated for this project and I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While your idea seems great overall, I have no idea whatsoever how you would be able to turn this into a complete TED talk. Is there anything more to your plan besides simply showing us a video of you performing this trick? if so, I would write more about those plans in your next blog post. Other than my concern over lack of presenting material, I really like this concept and am interested in seeing the end result. Best of luck!
    ~~SM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where the my first comment went so I will quickly re say it. I love the idea and you seem passionate and I think you should try some tricks to practice without a snowboard. Maybe a skateboard, just add straps. Or practice with something smaller first because it's easier like one of those skateboards for snow. Do this so you can have a progression and it's easier than just jumping in.

    ReplyDelete